Time Strategies

The Psychology of Checklists

I chose to read the blog titled "How checklists train your brain to be more productive and goal oriented, by Lauren Marchese. This was a very interesting read, and something I had surface level knowledge about, but there is a lot of good information that will help me in some of the larger projects, such as web dev and the 3D game. 

One of the main foundations of the checklists being able to "train" your brain, is a process called "gamification", this is probably something that most people have experienced but have not been able to understand or put a label on it.
Gamification refers to a boring, mundane or just everyday task, being taken and made "fun". This may seem like the opposite of fun, but by adding things such as a checklist, competitions or rewards, to the task, you can make it an enjoyable experience that you will want to repeat.

Checklist via Pixbay

This process is done by exploiting the dopamine releases in our brains, a simple thing like a checklist and ticking off a box can release a dopamine boost in our brains.
These sorts of checklists will be really handy for the larger projects, by splitting them into smaller and more manageable tasks with each having their own checkbox I think it will really benefit me with my overall progress.


The Myth of "Too Busy"

The second blog, "The Myth of 'Too Busy'" by Tim Grahl was another interesting read. It was about prioritising your time by getting rid of the phrase "I'm too busy" and replacing it with "I'm prioritising my time". This might come in handy for me because as some of the other students might already know, my time management is dreadful, I have too much on a nonchalant attitude when it comes to being on time to things.

Running late via Pexels

One of the main things I took away from this article was how the author explained that "busy" is something that happens to us, we are not in control of it. But, with good time management you can control your own time, and by using simple phrases that replace busy with things like "I have other things I have to do", you can shift that control. 

Being able to plan ahead and prioritise certain things will be a challenge for me but obviously be very beneficial. Things like going to bed earlier, will give me more time in the mornings so I don't have to rush out the door and be hungry in lectures could come in handy in the future.


Comments