Unity Tutorial 01

Unity

This week we had an introduction to Unity, a 3D video game engine. It seemed very daunting at first, especially the layout and how intuitive everything was. The video tutorials were very helpful though, a lot of the time I don't like video walkthroughs like these, but these, in particular, were very easy to follow along with. 

I had a few problems along the way, mainly with the code writing in brackets, which showed up as an error message in Unity, but like website development, the code in brackets is very sensitive to any mistakes and even a single spelling mistake will cause the entire thing to break. This happened to me twice but I was able to catch my mistake as Unity won't let you complete the action you're trying to do until you fix the issue.

Screenshot of Unity by me

So far, in Unity, we have learned about how to make an object move, using coding, which was surprisingly easy and only used 1 or 2 lines of code in brackets, and then was so simple to implement directly into Unity.
We then learned how to make objects have mass by using a Ridgebody component, which allowed the vehicle and any obstacles to interact with each other when the car hit the obstacle, instead of just passing through each other.
We also learned how to fix the camera to the moving car so the player of the game will view the game from a 3rd person view of the car.

The most difficult part of using Unity for me was moving and rotating the camera which I think is unnecessarily complicated for just moving around. To rotate the camera on Mac you need to hold down the Option key and drag the camera, but if you use the trackpad to try to move it only scrolls in and out and not side to side, and to move side to side you need to either use the directional keys or select the view tool.

Overall I look forward to doing more of these tutorials and creating the game. I was procrastinate doing the tutorials for a few days because I thought it would be really hard but it surprisingly wasn't too bad once I got started so I'm looking forward to using it more.





Comments