Games Decisions

 Flow State?

This week's reading was about what app designers can learn from games, I think, and the flow state in games, and how we can achieve it. The first article, "Building a Princess Saving App", was a bit of a weird read, when it loaded properly. It talks about how app designers can learn from game designers on how to incorporate fun and learning into their apps, and not have the audience of the app get bored and delete it. The author uses a good example of Photoshop taking forever to learn.

The next article was an academic paper about "Flow Experience in Computer Game Playing Among Thai University Students", that title doesn't even make sense so the rest of the article just looked like a blur to me. I don't find academic papers helpful in education whatsoever, so I didn't want to read this paper.


The next one was a video on "Flow Theory in Game Design" and it was so much better to watch, and I actually might watch the rest of the person's videos as this video was only a part 1. It goes into what is the flow theory, which I had already looked into before as the state of flow has always been interesting to me, and why we go into flow sometimes and not others. This video actually answers that, for flow to occur you need to balance between the skill of the player and the challenge the player will face. 

Comments